Friday, March 5, 2010

Let the races (and disease) begin.

So I had my first collegiate bicycle race last weekend and it was a lot of fun. It was in Lubbock, Texas tech hosted. It was very well organized, and everything but the road race was extremely technical. That included a time trial and criterium. I have to say Oklahoma is not flat! I don't care what anyone from the west says, we have constant rollers out here. If it weren't for the canyons in the Texas panhandle we would have been racing inside a skillet. Luckily those canyons afforded us an epic zig-zaging climb and a gradual straight one, both of which we covered twice. I placed midfield in everything, which is fine with me. I'm still young in the sport so it's all learning experience. I used to think I was slow, but after a 30 minute, 20mph+ solo chase effort I realized that I only lack the acceleration power I need to keep up with the attacks. I had a good discussion with our team captain about what kind of training I need to fix that. He won everything except the crit, which he placed third in. So he was the GC guy for the whole weekend. OU got a buttload of conference championship points for that. By the way we really need more riders in order to get lots of university support, so if anyone's interested in a fun, healthy lifestyle I've got a sport for you.

I worked really hard this week so I wouldn't have any homework this weekend, and then my wife and I both came down with strep. Now I'm procrastinating homework. I haven't gone to class since thurday and it's been hard to study when I feel so crummy. I had to miss the Tunis-Roubaix race too. It has some sections of hard-pack gravel roads that I was really looking forward to. Epic. For some reason cycling is a sport that has always found glory in masochism. Despite this, I haven't found it in myself to be masochistic enough to race while I can't swallow very easily. Oh well. I'll look forward to next weekend's race in Dallas. Victoria and I are traveling down together. I post what happens.

1 comment: